Early this morning a friend invited me to join her on a challenge. In a Sunday class, the assignment was to write down 20 things GOOD about yourself. She asked me if I wanted to take up the challenge.
It took me several minutes to agree. Honestly, it was still early and I couldn’t figure out a polite way to say no.
So, we did a virtual “Pinky swear” (no spit) and got out pen & paper.
I started with a bang and then fizzled out around number 8.
I quite quickly started to see part of the “issue” of me feeling a bit down lately.
There is something very unhealthy about not thinking of yourself as a good egg.
While my mother raised my sisters and me not to be boastful…….there is something to be said for appreciating the gifts that I have. I sure knew that I needed a boost, so back to the drawing board. Number 9……. Really? This can’t be that hard.
Immediately I figured out that because this was a difficult challenge, maybe it was something I needed to do.
Here we go, buckle down. Number 9……. Really? This can’t be that hard.
I am a nice person.
Oh, there’s one right there.
I took a break and asked Google. Who knew there was help? I found one website mighty helpful.
That search lead me down a fluffy rabbit hole. 100 Good things about Me! Oh, good gravy, there is NO way I can come up with 100 things good about me!
Wait, maybe I can fill out the list?
There is something rather delicious about nurturing the GOOD in oneself. Now, I don’t mean to announce your or my list on social media. I think of this blog as my journal. So if you read some of my list, keep your lips sealed. I will never know you peaked.
With each thing I wrote, it sort of became easier.
The 20 things GOOD about me has morphed into a list of 100 things. No, I have not made it to 100 yet. However, I am going to keep trying.
If I don’t think there are 100 good things about me…..I am no social genius….I am guessing that others won’t see the good in me either.
So far, I have made it to 47. I am going to keep at it. It may take me a day or two or more. I sort of feel like I need to do this. I am not sure how easy the rest of the list will come, I just have a feeling it will be good for my spirit and the people around me.
Let’s face it, being around “Debbie downers” is not a picnic.
WE need to do this. It sort of feels lovely to read all the GOOD there is about yourself. Sort of makes one blush just a bit.
In this together friends.
Are you brave enough to take up the challenge? Will you pinky swear that you will give it a try? Please stop by and leave a morsel of goodness. I would love to hear a couple of things on YOUR list.
- I am a good wife. I love Mr. Right and I chose wisely.
- I am a good grandma.
- I am loyal.
- I am calm in a crisis.
- I am a kind person.
- I am a good mother in law.
- I am a good problem solver.
- I am an avid reader.
- I am nice.
- I am good at word search puzzles.
- I am kind to animals.
- I am good at arranging flowers.
- I am empathetic.
- I am a good cook and baker.
- I am patriotic.
- I am never bored.
- I am good at growing vegetables.
- I don’t drink, smoke or take drugs.
- I am a good swimmer.
- I am good at remembering people with cards and gifts.
- I am good at cutting, coloring and highlighting my own hair.
- I am good at counted cross stitch sewing and quilting.
- I have faith.
- I have good manners and table etiquette.
- I am good at finishing projects.
- I can keep secrets.
- I LOVE my children (and their spouses) unconditionally.
- I am good at trying new things.
- I am trustworthy.
- I appreciate talent in others.
- I am good at shooting a gun(and hitting the target).
- I am good at geometry.
- I have strong opinions and values.
- I am good at setting a pretty table.
- I am good at wrapping gifts.
- I am a good researcher.
- I am good at ironing.
- I am good at decorating and keeping house.
- I am very giving.
- I am good at training dogs.
- I am good at painting. (walls and trim and ceilings and objects….not pictures on canvas)
- I am a good listener. I tend to forget a few things, but I am a good listener.
- I have a good eye for composition.
- I will stand up for my beliefs.
- I write well.
- I have a good eye for color.
- I have good handwriting.